Thursday, March 5, 2009

Garage and hellebores

Today we mainly worked on the garage. There's still a good bit of work to do - my husband spent a while fixing holes in the roof today. Yesterday, when I took a load of stuff to the tip (real rubbish, containers that mice had eaten through) I was as ever amazed by what people were throwing away. This time I snaffled two perfect children's size wooden chairs, which I intend to put some wood preserver on and tuck in a hidden corner of the garden. A bit naff I know, but to my mind they'll look very sweet. It's nooks and crannies like that which really appeal to me in other people's gardens too.

Yesterday I also put 3 sweet peas in a very large pot, in good compost, to keep in the conservatory. I wonder how soon these will flower? It faces south-west. They're about 6 inches tall now. My mother-in-law is visiting in early May and loves sweet peas, but I suspect that's a bit of a tall order.

This afternoon I potted up properly some hellebore seedlings from the front. Maybe I could swap them with someone at some stage.

Tomorrow will be a big day in the garden. Sun is forecast, and they've been a lot more accurate in the last couple of weeks. I intend to go all out to finish the last bed, which is big and a right mess, and if there's any time left, tidy up the patio a bit too, which will be a much smaller job. But we have friends over for dinner and need to do our weekly shop too. I'm really looking forward to getting out there, have the alarm already set for 7 (my husband, an owl to my lark, wouldn't thank me for setting it any earlier).

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have hellebore seedlings. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Even better was seeing so many growing wild on walks at this time of year with my parents, who live in the foothills of the Pyrenees. I know we have hellebores in England, but I haven't managed to make the native one last with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tina, and I look forward to updates on how they do. Can I be cheeky and put my name forward for a swap ? I have just started buying hellebores for my garden and am now the proud owner of two, I was a bit concerned that they are poisonous. I know lots of plants are. Are they easy to grow from seed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for popping by for a virtual tour of VanDusen. I am amazed to see many hellebore seedlings now appearing in my garden. I really wouldn't expect them to do well in this summer-dry micro-climate, but they seem to have at last established... after a good 8 years or so since I transplanted babies from a friend's garden down the street. p.s. you inspired me to add books, etc. to my profile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen - I'd be delighted, but be warned that the thing is with hellebores that they are promiscuous so-and-so's, and their offspring can vary hugely.

    Alice, you have made my day: any inspiration I can supply re books is good! Although each time I look at that list, I think, hmmmm, maybe just a *tad* pretentious...

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thank you for reading and wanting to comment. I'm sorry that spam has made it necessary for me to monitor comments, but please feel welcome despite this.