Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Book shopping

I've still not been back in the garden properly, I hope to do so tomorrow.

Today we were in London for a few hours. I spent the time having a walk up some of my favourite back streets and going to a second hand bookshop - so no change there then! In said bookshop (Quinto, Charing Cross rd branch) I bought: "England", mainly black and white photos by Edwin Smith, whose work I love; "Foliage Plants" by Christopher Lloyd - given how keen I am on avoiding naff things like flowers, ahem; and "Hortus Revisited" which should top up my taste for double-barrel surnames and small wood engravings. This little hoard came to £12.50. Would it have been better spent on plants? Well not the Edwin Smith book anyway.

PS Here is a link to some ES photos, so you can see what I'm on about.

3 comments:

  1. Some days we just need to take a break. Looking for books sounds like a very fun way to relax. I say books are just as important as plants-especially garden books:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya'll have THE best shops there! You can find so many amazing things there that you cannot find here! I wish I could fly there and go back to Portobllo (sp?) Market for 2 days, and have about $15,000 to spend!!!! I could get some great things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to my Edwin Smith collection - but the link has been changed as I'm in process of updating it.
    You can see them now via this one.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thank you for reading and wanting to comment. I'm sorry that spam has made it necessary for me to monitor comments, but please feel welcome despite this.