Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Some more pretties



For some reason the rock garden feels like the heart of Wisley to me. I read recently that it was first made in 1912:



Part of the new glasshouse: (I won't show you any of my pictures from inside it, they weren't much good, but I loved it so much we went back there together 3 days later and my husband's pictures are much better so I'll ask him if I can show you one or two of them.)



I hadn't seen this Chinese pavilion before for some reason:



I loved these pots of grass but couldn't see their name anywhere - does anyone recognise them? I bet you will, please tell me what they are!



(Incidentally my favourite plant on our 2nd visit was gaura Whirling Butterflies.)

Finally, I don't normally like cannas but I think they look great here:

10 comments:

  1. I am also not a Canna fan ..but I planted one under the grape arbor and it came up under the grapes and poked through the top....SO I love it there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I just posted about cannas too! Ha! Too funny. I am not sure on your grass but I keep thinking bunny tail grass. Maybe that is it. That rock garden is neat. What fun to visit a public garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need a really big garden to show off cannas - that is why they look so magnificent here at Wisley. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Emily of a great garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could the grass be Pennisetum villosum?

    Cannas - if I had a huge garden - I'd have lots of huge plants with very narrow paths running around between them and wear a pith helmet and go exploring.

    I find the top picture gripping - with the different directions of white light.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  6. That rock garden is one to treasure! I just tagged you with the "seven things" meme, so go to my blog to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the color combination of that last picture! It was an appropriate anticipation of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems very quiet round here.

    Hope you are alright, Emily.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wrote a comment and then I think I deleted it! Blonde moment. I hate cannas but there in that border they look amazing. All of Wisley seems a paradise I NEED to visit. I'll put it on the 'to do' list. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. It is annoying me terribly that my blogger links section refuses to recognise your web address. Sorry

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thank you for reading and wanting to comment. I'm sorry that spam has made it necessary for me to monitor comments, but please feel welcome despite this.